Friday, February 20, 2009

Abuelita frosting



This is a bit of a variation on a theme. I have always felt that birthdays are a day for celebrating, what better way to celebrate with a cake? Honestly, in my opinion, a birthday without cake is a piss poor birthday. Since I live my life by this celebratory kredo I always tend to be the one making the cakes. I am a big fan of a vanilla cake, but sometimes I get a little crazy with the frosting. I like trying new things. One time I made vanilla frosting with TANG drink mix in it, it was pretty awesome and had little orange flavor bursts! YUM. This time I decided to take the new cinnamon extract out for a whirl, in the fashion of my favorite regional hot chocolate "abuelita"




Ingredients:
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp "milk"
approximately 3 dashes of ground cinnamon (i shook the thing thrice)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon extract.



Beat together the margarine and shortening until smooth, add cocoa powder and beat until well mixed. Add in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time separated by dashes of "milk" to keep the party going. Once the sugar is completely mixed in and smooth add the cinnamon extract to spice things up a little and beat the heck out of that to make sure its well dispersed.



Spread this stuff all over your cakes, cupcakes or whatever you want. My roommate put my leftover frosting on some waffles this morning, it was a little weird but so is he. If you want to do it too that makes it less weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate, huh?